Oxford Castle

Malmaison Hotel, a converted jail

Last Sunday, Julie Kane (Sweet Briar’s amazing Head of Technical Services at the library) who also happens to be in Oxford this summer, met me for a day out! It was wonderful to see her, and she and I explored creepy Oxford Castle together. Oxford Castle is a composite building, the oldest part of which is St George‚Äôs Tower, which was built in 1071. The Castle was used as Charles I’s headquarters during the English Civil War, but by that time it was already quite dilapidated and used mainly as the royalist prison. In fact, the Castle’s use as a prison was the more lasting tradition with parts of the building all the way up until 1996. In fact, the guides have had some former inmates join them on the tours! That means that the castle has over 1000 years of history, much of it impressively dark and creepy, which Julie and I greatly enjoyed; we saw the cells and the crypts as well as the modern prison that was converted into a rather high end hotel. On the less macabre side, we also enjoyed the sweeping views of the city from the top of the old Anglo-Saxon Tower.

Julie and I at the top of St. George's Tower

Oxford Castle/Prison

This entry was posted in Study Abroad, Sweet Briar College and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Oxford Castle

1. Janet says:

Wow, That picture of the Eiffle Tower is amazing – I wish I was with you.